2021 NSW Foreign Surcharge Duty Webinar
DOWNLOAD THE BROCHURE HERE
This is a Webinar only event
Revenue NSW’s recent compliance activities for historical and current residential conveyances highlight the risk of undisclosed and unforeseen liabilities to foreign surcharge purchaser duty, leaving disgruntled clients pointing the finger at their advisers.
This webinar examines how to detect and advise clients properly on foreign surcharge liabilities, including:
- Key points on the current foreign surcharge framework in NSW
– Who is a “foreign person”
– What is “residential land”
– Navigating the transitional provisions and exemptions
- Getting the due diligence right from the start
- Key traps to watch out for
- Your clients receive a compliance letter asserting they are liable to foreign surcharges on a conveyance you have acted in – what happens next?
– Remission of penalty tax and interest
– Professional indemnity issues
Andrew Rider is recognised in Doyle’s Guide as a leading Australian tax barrister specialising in tax litigation and dispute resolution.
Andrew also advises on Australia-wide taxes, including stamp duties, land tax and payroll tax. Prior to coming to the Bar, Andrew was an Associate to Justice Michael Kirby and solicitor.
Andrew lectures in taxation law at the University of Sydney Law School, judges mooting competitions for the University of NSW and previously lectured in taxation law at the University of Technology, Sydney.
Andrew edits the leading stamp duty publication “Australian Stamp Duties Law” and authors the national stamp duty section of the leading online service “Practical Guidance - Property Law”.
Andrew is a Chartered Tax Adviser and examiner with The Tax Institute and member of The Tax Institute/RevenueNSW Liaison Committee and Dispute Resolution Technical Committee.
Andrew is also a member of the NCAT Revenue List Consultative Forum.